Readability and User Experience (UX) are essential to keeping users engaged with your content. Most visitors are likely to feel turned off by huge walls of text or very long pages and consequently leave your site. However, with a table of contents plugin, you can enable readers to quickly jump between different sections of your content.
Today’s guide will explore five of the best WordPress table of contents plugins. Let’s get started!
- 1 What Is a WordPress Table of Contents Plugin?
- 2 The Best WordPress Table of Contents Plugins
- 3 Comparing the Best Table of Contents Plugins
- 4 What is the Best WordPress Table of Contents Plugin?
- 5 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What Is a WordPress Table of Contents Plugin?
You’ve likely seen tables of contents before in physical books. They list the main chapters within the book so you can more efficiently locate specific content without having to randomly flip through all the pages. Therefore, you can save time and effort while finding the necessary information.
A table of contents serves a similar purpose on a WordPress website. However, unlike a physical book, a WordPress table of contents will be more dynamic and interactive. They contain a list of your post’s headings and subheadings with clickable anchor links (or jump links) that take readers to those specific sections.
The table of contents anchor links allows users to jump to the sections they’re most interested in. Therefore, since visitors won’t have to scroll down manually, this layout increases the UX of your post or page. Plus, it can enhance readability by clearly showing users what content to expect.
By using a WordPress table of contents plugin, you can insert this feature into your posts and pages without adding custom code. Therefore, this type of plugin can be a user-friendly and time-saving tool for your business.
The Best WordPress Table of Contents Plugins
Now, let’s take a look at some of the best WordPress table of contents plugins. We’ve chosen tools with user-friendly interfaces, customizable settings, good reviews, and also frequent updates.
The Best WordPress Table Of Contents Plugins Listed In OrderExpand List
1. Divi Table Of Contents Maker
First up, Divi Table of Contents Maker is a great plugin to increase the readability and navigation of your Divi site.
It works by creating a custom module within Divi that can be styled any way you like. You can apply a custom title text, a collapsible table, sticky settings, and several marker prefixes including icons, numbers, and letters.
Key Features for Divi Table Of Contents Maker:
- Endless design possibilities with Divi
- Collapsible and sticky table options
- Custom icon markers
- Link styling and hover effects
- Keyword highlight search bar
- Divi Theme Builder support
Additional settings include link styling, hover effects, a keyword highlight search bar, word wrap options, and Divi Theme Builder support for creating a table of content module dynamically. To boost your site’s SEO, Divi Table of Contents Maker integrates seamlessly with Rank Math, which provides SEO content analysis on the fly.
Divi Table Of Contents Maker is for you if…
- You want ultimate design control.
- You need a plugin that integrates with Divi
Divi Table Of Contents Maker Pricing: $15
2. Easy Table of Contents
Next, Easy Table of Contents is one of the most time-saving tables of contents plugins. You simply need to configure which types of posts and pages you want to include this element in. Then, the plugin will automatically insert the tables into your content.
Key Features for Easy Table of Contents:
- Auto-insert tables into posts, pages, custom post types, templates, navigation menus, and more.
- Choose from built-in themes to customize your tables’ appearance.
- Select color, background, and link options for your tables.
- Enable users to hide tables.
- Select each table’s position and label.
- Exclude specific headings from your tables.
Overall, Easy Table of Contents is a straightforward plugin. However, it could be just what you need if you’re not worried about advanced design settings.
Easy Table of Contents is for you if…
- You’re looking for an automated and user-friendly solution.
- You’d like to use a free plugin.
- Simplicity is important to you.
Easy Table of Contents Pricing: Free, with a premium version starting at $49 per year
If you’re looking for a straightforward table of contents block, SimpleTOC is an excellent option. The element it provides creates a nested list displaying all of your post or page headings. Plus, you can add this block to your widget areas, such as your header or footer.
Key Features for SimpleTOC:
- Insert the SimpleTOC block anywhere with the Block Editor.
- Choose which headings appear in your table.
- Select your desired background and text colors.
- Display the block in full or wide width, adjust its indent, and control the heading depth.
- Use the block in various languages, including English, Spanish, and French.
SimpleTOC is for you if…
- You want to add a table of contents with a block.
- You’re looking for a streamlined and lightweight plugin.
- Your website’s content is displayed in different languages.
SimpleTOC Pricing: Free
4. Fixed TOC
Next up, Fixed TOC is a premium WordPress table of contents plugin with more advanced styling options. You can set up the plugin to create tables automatically, or insert them manually with a shortcode. Additionally, you can configure Fixed TOC’s tables and change the color of their links, backgrounds, hover effects, and more.
Key Features for Fixed TOC:
- Automate your tables of contents according to page or post type.
- Create fixed (or floating) TOCs that are mobile-responsive.
- Customize your tables’ appearance to match your theme.
- Enable smooth scrolling and collapsible headings.
- Choose from a selection of animated effects.
- Use the plugin with Google AMP.
With FixedTOC, the table of contents will be located in your sidebar. This lets visitors skip ahead to other sections easily at any point. You can also opt to let users hide the table for better UX.
Fixed TOC is for you if…
- You’re looking for advanced styling and customization options.
- Mobile responsiveness is a high priority.
- You’d like to add animations to your tables of contents.
FixedTOC Pricing: Licenses start at $20 with six months of support
5. Ultimate Blocks
Finally, Ultimate Blocks could be the best WordPress table of contents plugin if you want to add several new elements to your site. It also enables you to insert customer star ratings, tabbed content, image sliders, and more.
Key Features for Ultimate Blocks:
- Choose from 47 new blocks, including a table of contents.
- Automatically generate a table of contents from the headings on your page.
- Include/exclude specific heading types.
- Make your tables collapsible.
- Create tables with multiple columns.
- Choose from three different list styles.
- Customize table colors.
Ultimate Blocks’ table of contents is fairly simple, with a few design options for columns, colors, and list formats. Additionally, you can make your tables collapsible, so users can opt in or out of the feature (including on mobile devices).
Ultimate Blocks is for you if…
- You need multiple blogging and marketing blocks.
- You’d like to use a free plugin.
- You’re looking for a simple and also user-friendly solution.
Ultimate Blocks Pricing: Free
Comparing the Best Table of Contents Plugins
First, let’s recap all of the plugins we covered in this post. We ranked them in order of our favorites, with the top three table of contents plugins at the top of the list. Of course, you might also want to consider the price associated with each.
Table of Contents Plugin Price Comparison
The price has been added to the following table for easy comparison.
|🥇||Divi Table of Contents Maker||$15||❌||Visit|
|🥈||Easy Table of Contents||$49||✔️||Visit|
Table of Contents Plugin Feature Comparison
You may not have considered all the possible customization options and features with a quality Table of Contents plugin. Here we go over the top 3 TOC plugins and how they match in a features comparison.
|🥇 Divi Table of Contents Maker||🥈 Easy Table of Contents||🥉 SimpleTOC|
|Custom Title Text||✔️||✔️||✔️|
|Auto Collapse When Sticky||✔️||❌||❌|
|Custom Icon Markers||✔️||❌||❌|
|Word Wrap Options||✔️||❌||❌|
|Get Divi Table of Contents Maker||Get Easy Table of Contents||Get SimpleTOC|
What is the Best WordPress Table of Contents Plugin?
A table of contents can help users jump ahead to the content that most interest them. Therefore, this feature can make your website much more user-friendly and improve its readability.
Divi Table of Contents Maker is an excellent option for a premium table of contents plugin. It includes advanced styling options, including animations. With seamless integration with Divi as well as Rank Math, you’ll give your users (and potential ones) an easy way to navigate content on your site.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Before we wrap up, let’s answer some of your most common questions regarding the best WordPress table of contents plugins. Did we miss one? Leave a question below, and we will respond!
What is the best WordPress table of contents plugin?
What is the best free WordPress table of contents plugin?
Does WordPress have a table of contents?
How do I create a table of contents in WordPress?
What is a table of contents plugin?
How do I use the Easy Table of Contents plugin in WordPress?
How can I add a table of contents in WordPress without a plugin?
What is the easiest WordPress table of content plugin to use?
What is the best floating table of contents plugin?
Looking for more amazing plugins? Check out our ultimate list of best WordPress plugins, which includes a top recommendation for each plugin type!